- Comprehensive Diagnostic Evaluations
- Individualized Care Planning and Management
- Consultative Evaluations
- Individual Psychotherapy with & without Medications
- Couples Counseling
- Family Caretaker Consultations
- Intensive Outpatient Treatment (transitions from and alternatives to hospitalization)
- Private/Public Inpatient, Residential Treatment and Services Integration, Linkage, Placement and Referral
- Case Management, Monitoring & Supervision
- Empowerment Workshops and Training for Consumers and Health Care Professionals
- Consultation Services to Programs and Agencies on Mental Health Services Design, Services Integration and Quality Management
“We do not believe in ourselves until
someone reveals that deep inside us something is valuable, worth listening to,
worthy of our trust, sacred to our touch. Once we believe in ourselves we can
risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that reveals the
My Approach to Psychotherapy
In my practice I use various modalities including supportive, cognitive behavioral, expressive as well
as more insight-oriented approaches. My approach depends on the individual and their preferences and needs, but typically I practice a personal synthesis of psychodynamic and cognitive behavioral therapies,
which I call "insight-oriented cognitive behavioral therapy."
Insight-oriented cognitive behavioral therapy examines the past, primarily to understand how past experiences impact one's thoughts and behaviors in the present. Clients may guide the therapy into examining and analyzing past trauma and experiences, but the focus remains on altering the impact that negative thinking
has on how people feel and behave in the present,
and on teaching people skills that allow them to substitute and learn positive ways of thinking and
“Dr Cohen is the best! She has literally transformed my life! After cycling thru a half dozen providers over a period of 3 years, I finally found someone who was able to help me get my life back on track and feel like a valuable member of society again. . . .
She’s not just a doctor, she’s a life coach!”
Sarah S., 2008
Don't ever let time or age keep you from living your dreams. Time will pass and you will age-with or without any special effort or accomplishments. ~ Janice E. Cohen
Please click on the Testimonials page for more client feedback about their recovery experiences.
Fees and Payment
I operate on a fee-for-service basis only and do not take any insurance. However, many of my clients have a portion of my services paid for through their out-of-network outpatient mental health benefits. My staff can provide receipts to obtain reimbursement from insurance companies whenever possible. For more information on my services and fees, please call (415) 566-6683.